Collage

Collage

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Our Toronto Trip (10/07 - 10/10)

I'm finally getting around to posting about Toronto! I attempted this last night at home, then my crap computer froze and I lost the whole thing. GRRR.

So.....Matt and I headed out Thursday morning, around 8 am. Besides being the most boring drive of my life, the construction on the highway all the way to Toronto was so annoying! We finally arrived to our hotel around 3 pm and checked in. We rested and relaxed at the hotel Thursday afternoon, then went to The Rex to see a jazz show that evening, and had a few beers.
Friday morning we went to the CN Tower. My fear of heights was most definitely confirmed this day! The CN tower is over 1,800 feet tall. After much persuasion, I gathered the courage to step onto the glass floor, which you can see below. It lasted all of .7 seconds....hehehe. I was on the glass long enough to snap a picture, then I was back on solid, non-transparent ground! It was a cool experience though. The 360-view of Toronto was awesome! After the CN Tower, we headed across the street to the Steam Whistle Brewery. We took a tour, though it wasn't a production day. Then we were able to sample some of their pilsner, which was quite delicious!! After our trek to the brewery and the tower, we had a quick lunch in PATH (underground shops and restaurants), then headed back to the hotel for a nap. After our 2.5 hour nap, we got dressed and went to our much anticipated dinner at Embrujo Flamenco, where we enjoyed tortilla espanola, queso manchego, paella, and sangria. It was all so delicious!!! After dinner we enjoyed a few drinks in the hotel lobby, then headed to bed.

( View down from standing on the glass floor......eeeeep!)



(CN Tower, view from the ground)


(Steam Whistle Brewery, right across the street from the CN Tower)

Saturday morning, we headed north to the University of Toronto area where we visited the Royal Ontario Museum. Matt had seen in a brochure that there was an exhibit on the First Emperor of China and the Terra Cotta Warriors, and he really wanted to see it. I wasn't thrilled at first, but I'm so glad we went. It was so amazing to see artifacts that were over 2,500 years old! The history was so rich and interesting. Pictures weren't allowed in the Emperor exhibit, but I did get some pictures at other parts of the museum. After the museum, we walked around Yonge-Dundas square for a while, and did a little shopping (I bought my first pair of skinny jeans!!). Then we - of course - headed back to the hotel and took a nap. Hahaha! Saturday evening we went to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra to hear a performance of Rhapsody in Blue. It was really enjoyable. That pianist was amazing!

(A statue of Buddha @ the Royal Ontario Museum)
We were on the road at 6:30 am Sunday morning. We missed Hendrix really badly and wanted to get home. We got home around noon, despite the crazy, crawling traffic in Grand Rapids due to Applebutter fest. It was a really enjoyable time, and I look forward to our next vacation - one in which Hendrix will be in tow, surely!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment