Collage

Collage

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Post-Baby-Healthy-Body Plan

Not only am I dreaming of warmer weather, and getting this baby born (and OUT of me), I'm dreaming of getting back into good physical shape!

I'm going to be cancelling my YMCA membership when the year commitment is up in June. The membership costs $70/month. It's expensive, yes. It's a family membership, and I thought for sure we'd take Hendrix swimming a couple times a month, and that Matt might be interested in using it to shoot hoops or something (I should have known better). Well, I think since last June, we've taken Hendrix swimming maybe 4 or 5 times, and those swimming trips are the only times Matt has been in the Y. I like the idea of having access to a pool in the dead of winter, but at what cost? I can't afford $840 a year just to take my kids swimming a few times. We live a block away from a community pool during the summer, and there are two indoor water parks around the area for the winter months. I've figured that for a family of 4, it will cost us about $50 to take the boys to the indoor water park. We'd have to go 16 times a year for it to add up to more than the cost of a YMCA membership. I certainly don't see that happening!

So, I'm going to cancel the Y membership, and I'm determined to start jogging outside. I love to jog. That's basically all I do when I go to the gym anyway. I do a few of the weight machines, but mainly, I do cardio. I want a healthy heart, and cardio burns a lot of calories also. I've tried running outside before, and failed. Truth is, running outside is much harder than running on a treadmill. I didn't know this before, but I know it now, and I'm going to make necessary adjustments to make sure I don't fail. Running outside burns more calories, tones different and more muscles, and is much more scenic than running on a treadmill. There is a program online called Couch25K that helps beginning runners get to 3 Km, or 30 minutes of jogging within 3 months. I'm excited! We've got so many miles of scenic trails around us on which I can run. I've got 3.5 months until Jameson is born, then approximately 6 weeks of recovery (that puts me into August). I'm going to run outside until the weather gets too cold/snowy (I'm thinking sometime in November), then run at the workout room at my work (I understand that a 1% incline on the treadmill is the same as running outside). Then, I'll resume after spring hits again.

All I know is that I refuse to be that woman who gets done having her children, and weighs 50 pounds more than she did before she had kids. No. Way.

I'm spending the remaining 3 months of this pregnancy working on developing a healthy lifestyle plan to lose the baby weight, tone my body, and just be healthier overall. I'm well aware that getting 30 mins of exercise a day will be quite difficult with two young children, but I'm blessed with a helpful and understanding husband, and I know that I just have to make time for it. I want to stay healthy and fit for myself, my kids, and my husband, and I'm determined to do it!! :)

Ok, enough about exercise. I've probably bored you to tears..........


No comments:

Post a Comment