Collage

Collage

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bedtime

Well, we've been dealing with Hendrix fighting bedtime now for 5 nights. I think *hope* we're seeing some bit of improvement.

The first night, I ended up giving in and patting his back until he fell asleep. Being mad at myself for that, the next night, I sat in his rocking chair across the room, completely ignoring him, and made him go to sleep on his own. It worked well, as he didn't get out of bed once. The next night, I stood in the doorway. Ended up standing there for over 40 minutes, but he did finally go to sleep. Since Matt and I are working on consistency, I decided we need to start alternating nights so that Hendrix understands he's going to receive the same enforcement/discipline from both of us. So Monday evening, Matt put him to bed. Hendrix fell asleep within 15 minutes for him (GRRR). Last night (Tues) it was my turn again. I sat in the doorway with just my feet visible to Hendrix. He stayed in bed, and he fell asleep in 22 minutes.

I hope and pray that we're taking the right approach. He seems to be making improvements each night. I just keep telling myself that this is a phase and that it will pass. This - for me, anyway - has been the hardest phase he's gone through so far. I'm so tired at the end of the day, and all I want to do is go downstairs and just sit for a while, but right now I can't do that. But I know that with patience and perseverance, this phase will pass. We'll continue to work on it, and I hope to be able to report soon that we're able to leave the room completely and he'll stay in bed and go to sleep!



No comments:

Post a Comment