Collage

Collage

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My new hobby (obsession?) .....

A while back, I posted that I wanted to get "Sewing for Dummies" and learn how to sew. Well, I made the purchase. I read and re-read the book, and studied up on various terminology and techniques with which I wasn't familiar.

I headed to Hobby Lobby a couple weeks ago, and picked out a couple simple patterns and some fabric and got started. My first project was a pair of pajama pants. Other than the size, they turned out sooooo cute! They are an off-white color with simple multi-colored polka dots on it. (I'll post pics soon.) The only problem is that right now, they fit perfectly over my 34 week pregnant belly. They make adorable maternity lounge pants. However, I'm pretty sure that this fall, when the weather gets chilly and I want to wear some comfy pants in the evenings, they'll fall right off my hips! They're drawstring, and I suppose I could just tie them tightly, but they might look silly. Hehehehe. I'll definitely be making a smaller size next time!

My next project is a skirt. I copied the pattern onto another sheet of paper Sunday evening so I can re-use it. I laid out the pattern and cut the fabric on Sunday, and I'm going to start sewing tonight, and I'm so excited! This fabric is hard to describe. It's almost a paisley pattern, but not really. It's just a decorative pink and brown. Simple, but very pretty. I figure I can just pair it with either a light pink or a brown shirt. There's lace around the bottom of the skirt (I bought brown lace). The pattern for this one is pretty simple as well, so I think it should be fairly easy. So far, just tracing the pattern, laying it out on the fabric, and cutting the fabric, I've put about 1 hr and 15 minutes into it. I think the whole thing can be completed in 3 to 3.5 hours. I'm trying to keep track of how long I spend on each project, in case I want to sell clothing some day. But for right now, it's just a very fun hobby (and maybe my new obsession!).

I'll post pictures when I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment