Collage

Collage

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Labor and Delivery







We made it - we have another beautiful baby boy!! Born on Friday, June 24th at 2:27 pm, he weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz. and was 20.5 inches long.



We went into the hospital at 6 am on Friday, June 24th for induction. I was started on the pitocin around 7:15. I was hoping very hard that it didn't take 14 hours like it did with Hendrix. I was lucky! I started feeling contractions around 9 or so, but they weren't painful, just a tightening feeling. Dr. Leggatt broke my water around 11:15 am to kind of speed things up. Once he did that, things got serious very quickly. The contractions got much stronger and much more painful. I asked for my epidural around noon, and - because it was a slow day at the hospital - the anesthesiologist was up in my room at 12:15.



I was again nervous and hoping that the epidural experience wasn't the same as it was when I had Hendrix - it only worked on my left side. Things were quite different this time around. The epidural worked fantastically, in terms of my pain. My blood pressure did drop very suddenly after I got it, which is a common side effect of the epidural for many women. It got as low as 60/40 at one point, and I could tell it was serious, as more nurses kept coming into my room. I was very dizzy and light-headed, and was told after the fact that I was as white as my bed sheet. I was given 3 doses of ephedrine into my IV, and after about 40 minutes, my blood pressure began to climb back up and the atmosphere relaxed a lot. :) Around 1 pm, Matt and I both went to sleep! I was woken up about 1:45, feeling pressure. The nurse came in at 2 pm to check my blood pressure, as she had been doing all morning. I told her what I was feeling, and she checked me to see how I was dilating. I was complete - at 10 centimeters! How exciting!



Dr. Leggat wasn't at the hospital at the time, so they called him over from the doctors office. The nurse was telling me to hold off pushing as long as I could. With each contraction, the pressure I was feeling was getting more intense, to the point where it was becoming pain. But I was able to hold off. Dr. Leggat arrived, changed quickly into scrubs, and came back in the room and I started pushing immediately. This is the best part - I pushed through 3 contractions, for about 10 minutes - and Jameson was here! Out he came, all purple and smushed up!! :)



I did have a 2nd degree tear, as the doctor had no time to perform an episiotomy. He stitched me up, and all the doctors/nurses were out of the room within about an hour and a half.

Over all, it was a very easy labor and delivery, and I couldn't really have asked for it to go any better, other than the blood pressure scare. And now I have my family, all complete as it should be, and I'm so happy! More to come on life as a family of four soon!










No comments:

Post a Comment