Collage

Collage

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What will it be next with Hendrix???

Our Hendrix has had so many illnesses in his short 20 months of life - and it appears the worst isn't over yet!

Yesterday morning, Hendrix and I were playing out on the front porch while Jameson napped. Hendrix walked away from me, and as I was looking at him from behind, I noticed that his neck looked very thick, like a body builder's neck. He had what appeared to be a large lump behind his left ear. I went over to him and gently felt it, and there was definitely a lump there.

Being the worry-wart that I am, my mind immediately goes to the worst place! I'm thinking my poor baby has some kind of tumor or something. I called the pediatrician at 11 am, and they were able to get us in at 11:50 with his primary care pediatrician, Dr. Toni.

We had just gotten back from running a couple errands in Bowling Green, but we reloaded everyone into the care and headed to Maumee to go to the doctor. When Dr. Toni got in the exam room, I told her a bit about why we were there, she took a look at Hendrix, and said, "Oh wow." It's never good when your doctor is taken aback by what (s)he sees!!!

She checked him out, determined he had (VERY) swollen glands on both sides of his neck, checked the rest of him for anything out of the ordinary, then ordered a chest x-ray (t0 make sure his glands behind his breast bone weren't swollen) and blood work.

So after being in the pediatrician's office for an hour, we headed across the hall to the lab. (At this point, I'm stressing out to the max, and all the while, Jameson was hungry and screaming his head off - yikes!) Once we got signed into the lab, I fed Jameson and he went to sleep - thank goodness! Hendrix got called back, we got his chest x-ray, then moved on to the bloodwork. It was very difficult for me to see him get his blood drawn. The phlebotomists had me hold him in a big, tight bear hug, one of them held his draw-arm, and the other drew the blood. He screamed, of course. And can you blame him? Poor baby was scared.

We finally got out of there, and - as healthy as I'm trying to be right now - I was tired, stressed, and hungry, so we ran through the Wendy's drive-thru and I got Hendrix some chicken nuggets for lunch, because at this time, it was already after 1 pm. He only got 2 down him before he fell asleep.

We got home and both boys were still asleep. Dr. Toni had ordered the lab restuls stat, so I was just waiting for the results. The office called me around 4 pm. Hendrix has mono. Ugh!!! The doctor's orders were that he get rest. He's not to do any physical activity, and this includes running and jumping. He's not to go outside either. This is torture on the poor guy!!! Being outside is his favorite thing in the whole world.

So, needless to say, these next few weeks are going to be rough. He's not been begging to go outside too much today, but he's just bored and stir crazy, I can tell. I've been trying to keep him entertained, but it's hard. We'll see how things go.....Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment