Collage

Collage

Thursday, February 16, 2012

I fear I may be turning into a bit of a geek...

Have you heard of geocaching? I'd heard the term, but never knew what it meant. Yesterday, I was browsing the website for the Wabash-Cannonball Trail, on which I plan on running Sunday morning. I was browsing the "attractions" section, and it listed geocaching as one of the attractions. I'd heard this term before, but never really knew what it was. Until now.

You can find more info via geocaching.com and wikipedia. Basically, people go out (out doors) and hide objects (or containers with objects inside of them) called "caches", log the location of the cache by GPS coordinates, then put these coordinates online. Then, people who are interested in geocaching go to the website, see where the caches are located, then go out and find them.




So, at first, I was confused and didn't really get the coolness of this game. But the more I read about it, the more intrigued I became. I pulled up a map from the geocaching website, and much to my geeky excitement, discovered that there was a cache hidden basically right across the street from my house! Ok, I was now obligated to find it, right? (Agree with me, people.)

So, I went on a four-mile run last evening, and planned my route so that I ended the run where the cache was hidden. I planned on looking for the cache for no more than 5 minutes. It was dark, and it was drizzling. However, I found it fairly quickly. It was a plastic lizard, stuck inside a hollow tree trunk (I'll get and post a pic soon). Wierd, yeah. Cool? Pretty much. :D So, I went home, and was on the computer anyway, downloading my run info from my Garmin, so I stopped by the geocaching website and logged that I found the cache.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty excited to go find some more. I think that on Saturday morning, I'm going to take Hendrix to find the lizard, since it's so close to home. I think he'll absolutely love it. Plus, once he's a bit older, I think geocaching would be an awesome activity to do as a family. When I zoomed out on the cache map, there are literally, millions of them hidden all over the world. And soooooo many (I'm talking thousands) right near our house, and in the northwest Ohio area.

Yep. I'm geeked about it. Stay tuned for new posts about my prospective new love: geocaching.



No comments:

Post a Comment