Collage

Collage

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

Yup, that's it. A case of Runner's Knee.

I went to the orthopedic doctor today, had x-rays taken, and all is well......except the fact that I'm in pain.

The doctor showed me the x-rays (oh, how I wish I could share them - so cool to look at your bones!) and my right knee-cap is visibly pulled towards the outside of my leg, hence the pain.

He gave me a (very expensive) knee brace to use when I run, or whenever I'm in pain, and gave me a list of exercises to do in order to strengthen and stretch my muscles to help re-align the kneecap.


He also told me that I can continue to train, that I am not going to do damage to my knee. It's just going to hurt. Awesome.


But, it made me happy that I can continue to train for, and hopefully run most of this half marathon. It's definitely the biggest physical challenge I've ever undertaken in my life, and I SO want to experience that feeling of crossing the finish line feeling amazing.


So, I'm going to keep training. It'll probably include a lot of ibuprofen and ice. But I'm going to do it. Hopefully I can log a few miles this week so it's not another total loss. I miss my tennis shoes, and I'm pretty sure they miss me too.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww bummer dude! But good to know you can't make it worse by training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a bummer.....I'm going out for a run first thing in the morning, with my new brace. We'll see what that does to help. I haven't run in almost two weeks. Eep.

      Delete