Collage

Collage

Monday, March 26, 2012

Time and Energy.......Wasted

What came to your mind when you read that title? Negativity, right? It sounds like I'm going to complain about all this hard work I put into something, and all for nothing. Right?

Well, it started out like that. I found myself in a very negative mood. But it turned into something very positive, and I'm excited to share it with you!

I've been married for four and a half years now. It's common knowledge that spouses will drive each other crazy. If your spouse doesn't make you want to scream and occasionally smack him/her across the face, you aren't in a normal relationship (just my opinion, people!)!!

But, as I was thinking yesterday, I spend a lot of time being irritated with my husband. I let that irritation fester, and it then turns to anger. He got toys out after I cleaned the toyroom and didn't put them away after he was done playing with the kids. He hung my pants up wrong, and they're all wrinkly now. He hung the toilet paper wrong and he knows that drive me crazy. He brought tools into the house and didn't take them back out to the garage. He sleeps until 7 every morning while I get up at 5, just to get myself and our two boys ready to head out the door for the day.

Sigh....the list could go on. Like, for days. But, why? I only have so much energy to expend each day, and I have been expending a LOT of it being irritated with my husband. I have decided that I want to expend that energy in more positive ways. Like giggling with my kids. Like cooking delicious meals for my family that I love so much.

Will my husband still irritate me? Duh. But I have control over how I handle that irritation.
1) I can keep it bottled up and let it fester for days until it results in an argument.
2) Or I can just let it slide off my shoulders and accept things for what they are, and move on.

I'm choosing option #2. I had my first experience this morning, as I woke up at 5:15 am, was rushing around, getting myself ready, getting Jameson fed and dressed, getting Hendrix his piece of toast, then his second piece of toast. Then dressing Hendrix, then discovering he'd taken his socks off. Re-dressing his little feet......all while Matt slept, then woke up and headed straight to the bathroom for his shower. Frustrating! And it won't ever stop being frustrating. But I don't want to spend so much time and energy being negative about it.

So, that's my new goal. Raise my white flag, accept that things are the way they are, move on, and spend my time being happy.

We'll see how well this works. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment