Collage

Collage

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weekened Recap (05/24 - 05/28)

Gotta love holiday weekends, right?  This one turned out to be longer than the anticipated three-day weekend for us, but the reason wasn't a happy one.

Matt's dad, Larry, passed away on Tuesday May 22nd after a valiant battle with brain cancer.  We knew it was coming, but that didn't stop it from being difficult.  His viewing was Thursday the 24th and the funeral was Friday the 25th. 

Thursday May 24
I worked a 1/2 day (7-11), picked up the boys and headed to Elwood.  We arrived around 2:30 to Matt's mom's house.  We headed to the funeral home.  There were a couple ladies from Joyce's church who were in the children's room and they watched the kids so we could focus on the viewing.  Matt's old boss and good friend Mike Girardot came from up near Fort Wayne.  His old friend Jack and his wife, Melissa, came from Noblesville.  But the one that I think meant the most was his current boss and a customer service associate (Matt LOVES this guy, talks about him all the time) came from Champaign, Illinois, just for the viewing.  It was so thoughtful of them.  After four long hours on our feet, we all headed home (Matt and I to my parents' house) for some sleep. 

Friday May 25
We all met up at Joyce's house around 10:15.  Joyce's sister, brothers, and father had gotten in the night before.  Despite the circumstances, it was very nice to see them.  We headed back to the funeral home for the service at 11.  The service was very nice.  Several pastors from the ministerial association spoke and it was all very beautiful.  It was very difficult as well.  After the service, Larry was laid to rest in a quiet cemetery about 100 feet behind tee station #2 of the Elwood golf course, which is where he always said he wanted to be buried.  There was a funeral dinner afterwards, which my parents attended to help us watch the boys (my parents are such wonderful people, I must say!).  After the dinner, Matt and I (and the boys, of course) went back to Joyce's house to spend a little more time with the out-of-town relatives, and we headed out towards Ohio around 4 pm.  We all got home around 7, got the boys bathed and in bed, and Matt and I enjoyed a few peaceful minutes on the porch swing.

Saturday May 26
I had gotten to bed around 10, so I got up at 6:15 and went for a run.  It felt good, since it had been almost two weeks since my last run.  When I got home, Matt and Hendrix were in the kitchen getting breakfast.  I told Matt to go back to bed since it was his birthday, so he did.  Hendrix and I watched a little TV, and I got dressed and in housework-mode.  Wade and Amy were coming later than afternoon, and through all the chaos of Matt being gone and me being the sole parent for the past week, the house had somewhat fallen apart.  Matt got up around 8:30 and Jamers got up around 9.  We cleaned and straightened, Matt mowed, I did laundry, I scoured the bathroom, I did dishes, Matt helped fold laundry.......we were a housework whirlwind for a few hours!  The Kanes arrived around 4.  We grilled out and after dinner we all walked down to the river.  It hasn't rained in a few weeks, and the river is really low right now so we walked along the river bed.  The kids loved it!  After that, we got our boys to bed, and sat around a little fire in the backyard, and had a few drinks.  It was relaxing and enjoyable.

Sunday May 27
Wade and Matt had gone to bed late, so they slept until 10:30 am.  Amy and I were up with the kids.  We tried to go play at the park, but it was 90 degrees at 11 am, so we were only there for about 15 minutes and came back home.  We drove to Bowling Green for some Mexican food, and when we got home, Jameson napped and Amy and I sat on the deck while Hendrix and Kenna played in the sprinkler and the little pool.  I got a little color to my skin, which is nice.  Wade and Matt went fishing, which was a new experience for Matt.  I think he enjoyed it though.  We all walked down to the river again later that evening.  After the boys were in bed, the Kanes headed out and I went to bed around 9:45.

Monday May 28
Monday was another scorcher.  I stayed inside the majority of the day.  I baked a batch of cookies and caught up on laundry.  Hendrix kept begging to go outside, and didn't really understand that it was too hot to be outside non-stop.  He was upset that he had to keep coming inside for cool-down breaks.  Matt and he went to Home Depot late morning and I messed around with icing my cookies.  When they got back, we had a quick lunch, then watched a movie and played in the living room for a couple hours.  After that, Matt and Hendrix installed white rope lights around our deck.  It looks really nice and I look forward to using the deck this weekend when it's not so hot! We grilled chicken and corn on the cob for dinner.  We also had ranch roasted red potatoes.  Mmmmm.  After dinner we got the boys to bed and I crashed at 9 pm myself.  It was a long weekend.

Now it's back to the grind. Thank goodness it's a short week, though!  We're travelling again this weekend for Matt's niece's 1st birthday party. I look forward to seeing family, but am 100% dreading loading back up in the car for another 6 hours (both ways).  If you could see me now, you'd see me cringe.

But anyhoo....it is what it is.  Hope everyone has a blessed week, and I apologize for my absence lately.  Hopefully the craziness is gone from our life for a while and we can enjoy summer now that it's finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment