Collage

Collage

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Happy Runiversary to me!

It was a year ago that I decided to try the Couch25k program.  I'd never been a runner.  I'd dabbled in it previously, I'd tried it a few times, and never stuck with it.  But, having a three week old baby and weighing in at 151 lbs, I knew it was time to make a change.

One year later, I'm still running!  I still love it!  There are a ton of ways to burn calories, but I never feel as "satisfied" with a workout as I do after I go for a run, even though other exercises burn MORE cals than a run. 

In the past year, I:
* started the c25k program July 2011
* ran my first race - ever (Race for Recovery in October 2011)
* ran my second 5k with a runner friend of mine (Holiday Hustle in November 2011)
* began half-marathon training
* injured my knee, took almost 2 months off running
* went into the Half thinking I was going to die
* ran 12.1 of the 13.1 miles of the half marathon in 2:17 <---- KILLED IT!
* lost 20 pounds
* am currently starting to build mileage back up for the Race for Recovery again this year - but 10k
    style this time!

Running makes me feel so good, both mentally and physically.  I sleep so much better at night now (now that I have two kids who also sleep all night!), I'm more motivated to make healthy food choices when I'm running, I'm at my best weight since about my freshman year in high school, and the endorphins really boost my mood if I'm down.

I'm so glad I stuck with it, and hope to stick with it for years to come!

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you have lost that much weight! That is sooooo wonderful! I don't lose much weight when I run... probably cause I just eat more! YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra, I plateaued around 136 when I was training for the half marathon because I was building a lot of muscle and also eating a TON! Now that my training has backed way down, I've lost about 5 more.

    ReplyDelete