Collage

Collage

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

D-Talk: Our first post-hospital low.

Jameson's sugar dropped low a couple times when we were in the hospital.  It was comforting to have nurses there to help us!  But, in the past month, he hasn't gotten low at non-meal times.  It's easy to deal with lows at meal times, because he just gets a free carb choice, and all is well.  I didn't have much practice for non-meal time lows.

Last night, Jameson didn't eat much for dinner.  We had chicken and rice.  He nibbled, and had some milk. His sugar was pretty good, so I only gave him 1 and 1/2 units of humalog (for the rice and milk).  About an hour later, around 7 pm, I was putting a load in the dryer and throwing more clothes in the washer.  Jameson was pretty whiny, and was saying my name (mahhhhhhh-ma), and holding up his arms to be picked up. 

He crawled over to me, got on his knees, and put his hands on my upper legs, begging to be picked up.  I could feel him shaking.  I tested him.  He was at 50.

I took him into the kitchen and gave him 4 sandwich crackers, to equal 15 grams of carbs.  Looking back, I should have given him a quicker acting sugar, such as juice, or a popsicle, but at the moment, I felt like I had no clue what to do.  Ha!  Anyway, he ate his crackers and came back around just fine.  I gave him his normal bedtime snack, and he was 92 at bedtime, which is still slightly lower than it should be, but better than 50!

I fought the urge to set my alarm and check him in the middle of the night.  When I told the endocrinologist at our last appointment that I had been doing that, he kind of laughed at me, suggesting that I was over-checking him.  I obviously want my boy to be healthy, but don't want to prick him unnecessarily.  Anyway, at 6:15 this morning, after an 11 hour sleeping fast, he was at 237!!  This boy is a mystery, and is constantly on a blood sugar roller coaster.  I really hope it can even out eventually.

But needless to say, we survived our first post-hospital, non-mealtime low.  <--- Sheesh, that's a mouthful.

Now....to survive his cousin's cake-a-liscious birthday party this weekend.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, it sounds like you did well, and you will learn what works best. Kaylan has made it down to 34 before, and didn't realize it, that's what scare me. I think its kind of odd the doctor laughed off a mid night check, Ajay still does that depending on the days activity.
    With winter approachng be cautious with cold weather playing. The cold temps make your body burn more energy to stay warm, so it is very easy to drop low.

    ReplyDelete