Collage

Collage

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bountiful Basket!

Matt and I always talk about how we need to eat more fresh foods and eat healthier.  I'm not sure why we don't do a better job of it, with him working for a produce warehouse and all!
 
Anyway, a couple co-workers of mine take part is what is called "Bountiful Baskets Co-Op."  It is where you get online each Monday morning at 9 am, mountain time, and you "participate."  By participating, you are clicking on your appropriate state, then county, then pick-up location, and buying one of these produce baskets.
 
The catch is that they sell out extremely fast!  I have been trying to get a Bountiful Basket for about four weeks, and I finally got one!  I logged onto the website at 8:57 am, and literally was hitting the refresh button about every 10-15 seconds.  (When I picked up my basket on Saturday morning, I learned that my specific site had sold out in four minutes!!)
 
Each site has a specific number of baskets available, and when they're gone, your site disappears from the list, and you know it's sold out.  The baskets cost $15, and you don't know specifically what you're going to get.  All you know is that it's 50% fruit and 50% vegetables.  There are also organic baskets, juice packs, and bread packs available for additional fees.  I stuck with the conventional produce basket for my first contribution.  My basket this week had asparagus (one of my favorite veggies!), broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and onions.  It also had mangos, apples, bananas, grapefruits, and tangerines.
 
Matt, being the produce guru, told me I could get the same amount of produce at the grocery store for about the same amount, give or take a few dollars.  Not sure if that's true, or he was just a grumpy gus about the whole idea. :)
 
Anyway, I walked in the door with this produce basket in my hands, and my boys literally attacked me, begging for some!  My boys LOVE fruit.  I'm always happy to give it to them, since it's nice and healthy.  Within 10 minutes of being home, we had demolished two apples, a grapefruit, and one of the mangos!
 
I cut up the broccoli and made broccoli and beef, like you get at a Chinese restaurant, on Sunday evening.  Saturday evening, we had roasted asparagus with our pasta.  I'm trying to decide what to do with the onions.  They'll last a while, but I want to eat them soon, just because they're delish!  Once I have more than two minutes at a time, I'm going to cook up the cauliflower and freeze some of it, and make a cauliflower "pizza crust" out of it, to see what all the fuss is about with that new fad recipe. 
 
Over all, I'm very happy with my Bountiful Basket, though I'm anxious to go to a grocery store and price out some produce to see if I saved money or not!  Once I find out, I'll let you know.  In the mean time, enjoy the photos of my yummy fresh produce!
 
 











 
Here's to healthy eating, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your basket, sometimes its more about the hunt than the trophy.

    I frequent a site called WOOT and periodically they sell a "bag of crap" its basically just a grab bag of stuff (some of it is nice, some is pretty crappy) anyway the bag of crap also sells out in minutes so they are very coveted.

    Hope everyone is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny you said that. I love to thrift. And it's totally about finding the awesome deal - sometimes more about finding it, than the deal itself!

      Delete
  2. Please fact-check Bountiful Baskets.
    Bountiful Baskets does not appear to meet the international
    Cooperative Alliance's Principles of Cooperation.
    There's nothing wrong with the business model they have chosen
    to operate under.
    However,
    can they verify what they write on their Bountiful Baskets website
    that they are a non-profit? Nothing in their FAQ tells me what
    happens to the money not used to pay for goods, shipping or
    credit card charges. In a Co-op that profit is shared with the
    members or the members decide what to do with it.

    Arizona Incorporation papers
    http://starpas.azcc.gov/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/names-detail.p?name-id=15466984&type=CORPORATION

    Administratively dissolved.
    Same address as Kodiak Fresh Produce, in Phoenix.

    Conservatively guessing a few cents per basket not going
    to cover the cost of the goods, with hundreds of sites and
    probably thousands of baskets, that total dollar amount
    adds up. Who gets that, Kodiak or the founders?

    Not to mention Kodiak gets paid when the order is paid,
    by thousands of credit cards, with fees added for shipping
    and the credit card costs.

    There are weak Cooperative Enterprise Corporate identity laws in
    Arizona, Sierra Vista Food Coop in AZ had to incorporate in MN,
    look that up at Sierra Vista's FAQ online.

    There's nothing wrong with the business model they choose,
    but to believe that no profit is made at their AZ HQ when they rely
    on "volunteers" at their pick-up sites is a stretch.
    Bountiful Baskets have not answered my queries at their website
    about their Co-op status and they delete my posts and banned me from their Facebook page for asking about their Co-op status
    under the ICA Principles.

    Sources for Cooperative Identity
    1. Food Coop Initiative
    2. International Cooperative Alliance
    3. National Cooperative Business Association
    4. National Cooperative Grocers Association
    5. Consumer Cooperative Management Association
    6. Other groups with Food Co-op in their name who
    link to the ICA Principles of Cooperation

    ReplyDelete