Collage

Collage

Friday, June 21, 2013

Parenting - A Quick Rant.

Has anyone noticed how many articles and blogposts and books and magazines are out there on parenting? 
 
Do you guys read this stuff?  I tend not to these days.  I used to.  But not anymore.  Why not, you ask?  Here's why. 
 
I am SICK and TIRED of reading all of these "expert" opinions about what makes a good parent.  I am sick and tired of being made to feel inferior, simply because I don't feed my children organic food, or because I only breastfed Hendrix for three months and Jameson for 1 day.  Or because I *gasp* ask my boys that they play with each other and use their imagination instead of me constantly sitting next to them entertaining them for hours a day. 
 
Do you get where I am coming from?  I parent in a pretty old-fashioned way, and I like my style.  But that's not even my point.  My point is:  my style is A.  Your style is B.  That mom's style is neither of those.  And you know what?  That's freaking fantastic!
 
I wish that our society would stop trying to tell us mothers how to parent and embrace the fact that everyone parent differently and that's what's going to make the world go around once our little people grow up and venture out into the world.
 
I also wish that us mothers would allow ourselves to be proud of what we do, and stop coming down so hard on ourselves.  I'm guilty of it.  I'm pretty sure every mom is guilty of it.  Being a mom is hard.  It leaves us in tears, often.  It's exhausting.  But we are all doing a great job, in our own ways.  We need to embrace it.
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks for humoring me and listening to my quick little rant.
 
Happy Friday, friends.  Hope you can enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading through your archives since I found your blog through a shared post on Facebook. I have read almost everything since October of 2012 when Jameson was in the hospital. I know that this post is quite 'old', but thank you for writing this. I haven't made it to your more recent posts, put after reading the post that brought me to your blog (the one about the boys not being the center of your universe), and all the others, I just have to tell you that I think you are a fabulous Mama to your boys, and an inspiration to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete