Collage

Collage

Thursday, October 31, 2013

No-Cell-Vember 2013

Ok, to say "no-cell-vember" is a bit drastic. 
 
The real goal for the month of November is to get my face out of the cell phone all the time, which means taking a break from and saying no to social networking.
 
I KNOW that I'm not the only person who spends a significant portion of their day scrolling up and down the screen of their smart phone.  The average person checks their smart phone 150 times a day. ( SOURCE )
If that person is awake for 16 hours a day, that's 9.5 times every hour.  That's once about every 6 minutes.  Are you that person?  Some days, I'm that person.
 
 
 
That embarrasses me.  I mean, it's 2013 and technology is awesome.  But life still goes on around us.  How many times have we missed a funny joke, or had to ask someone to repeat what they said because we were reading an article, or scrolling our new feeds?
 
How often have we (parents) missed something adorable or funny - or noble/respectable??? - that our kids did because we were writing a post on someone's wall?
 
I'm going to give up Facebook and Instagram during the month of November, since those are the social networks that suck away the majority of my time.  It's going to be challenging.  But I don't want to miss out on life as it passes right by me.
(The one and only exception is that I will be sharing a blog post on facebook this Saturday.  It's a personal post that's very close to my heart, and I want it out there.)
 
 
Jameson marks a milestone this month. Hendrix turns four.  We get the boys on their very first airplane ride.  We visit with family and friends in Indiana. We decorate for Christmas.  Oh, if ever there was a month to get my face out of the cyber world and really engage in life - this is the month!
 
I'll still be posting on the blog.  Please feel free to share the link to this blog with anyone you choose. 
 
I'll still be taking pictures with my phone, because I much prefer taking and editing pictures right from the phone, rather than carrying around a separate camera.
 
But I won't be on Facebook.  I won't be on Instagram.  My phone will be in my purse or pocket when I'm not taking photos.
 
Instead, I'll be watching my boys play and grow up.  I'll be conversing with my husband.  I'll be laughing with my friends and family.  I'll be baking cookies with the kids.  I'll be bowling with my niece at her birthday party. I'll be helping my mom prepare meals for us to enjoy while we are at her house.  I'll be living, and it's going to be fantastic.

11 comments:

  1. What a great concept - your facts on social networking are chilling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great idea!i feel the same! we miss way too much staring down at our phone.We are keeping up to date with what ppl we don't even talk to are doing and missing all the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this :) I am having a great time reading around your blog. Following you :)
    http://thebees3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BeaumontGirl! I'll check your blog out as well!

      Delete
  4. First off, I didn't know other SD bloggers existed (much less western SD!!) so, hi!!! Second, I completely agree with being in the moment. I haven't had a cell phone for 5 months and honestly do not miss it. It allows me to detach fully from social media. One day when my kids get older I'll probably have to get one again, but for now, I'd rather enjoy living like you said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea, that's great! I assume you are located west river? Where are you at? Feel free to email me if you don't want to put it out there for the world to see. :)

      Stephanie.metz1984@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. I am west river! Sent you an e-mail. :)

      Delete
  5. Love this!!

    I have a love-hate relationship with technology. It's convenient - yes. But just two weeks ago I was waiting in line for the bathroom at the airport. The wait was maybe 30 seconds. EVERY SINGLE PERSON in front of me had their cell phone out and was scrolling Facebook. Seriously people? You can't just wait in line for 30 seconds without seeing the latest cat video link your friend posted?!

    I hate how many people now ignore real, live, breathing people in front of them in favor of immersing themselves in the virtual world instead. It just makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just wanted to say you have way too many great posts for me to not follow you! You have yourself a new follower. :)

      Delete
  6. I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort on your blog. I appreciate your effort. Please check out my site.I
    Toy guns for sale

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort on your blog. I appreciate your effort. Please check out my site.I
    Toy guns for sale

    ReplyDelete