Collage

Collage

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Potty Training Regression

Regression.
 
As a health and fitness addict lover, I don't like that word.  As a mom, I don't like that word.  Heck, as a human being, I don't like that word!  But I suppose it's inevitable at some point, right?
 
I did the three-day potty training method back in August, and Jameson took to it wonderfully!  He's been doing fantastic ever since.
 
Monday night though, he wet the bed twice.  Yesterday afternoon, daycare called me and said that he'd wet his pants four times.  FOUR TIMES!

The picture I snapped of him at daycare, in TinkerBell pants, since he had no other clean clothes!
 
 
When a type 1 diabetic child starts peeing frequently and has the blood sugar numbers that he had yesterday,  type 1 diabetic moms WORRY.  I called the endocrinologist to request a new prescription of ketostix to check ketones, and checked as soon as we got home.  Ketones were trace, which did not allow them to be any kind of excuse for wetting himself six times in a 24-hour period.  Grr.


 
So no ketones was very good news, obviously.  But just left me frustrated.  I told him that if he makes it home in the same pants and undies that he wore to school today, I'll give him a treat.  Yep, I'm bribing him.  Sue me. :)
 
I spoke briefly to his teacher this morning and she said that yesterday, he looked her right in the eye, then proceeded to wet himself.  What a stubborn and defiant little person.
 
We'll see what today brings.  Hopefully it won't involve washing pee-soaked articles of clothing.  Gross.
 
At what age was your child potty-trained, if you have children?
 
Did you experience regression?
 
What potty-training method did you use?
 
Have a great hump day!
 
 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. I have 3 kids and each of them was/is different in their potty training experiences. My youngest is 4 and she potty trained herself. She never wets the bed or has accidents. My 7 year old has frequent UTI's that started at 3 so when she has an accident it is almost always caused by a UTI.. My 5 year old has night accidents about 4x out of the week. All that to say that having accidents is normal. Also, being constipated is very often a cause of having accidents! If you think he may have a UTI, it might be worth checking out. Sometimes with defiant kids, the more you struggle with them the worse it gets. Good luck! Just started reading your blog after your post about Kids Not Being The Center of My World. LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply, Sarah! Jameson has always been a stubborn little stinker, but I had a feeling his Type 1 Diabetes would complicate potty training a little bit (he was diagnosed at 16 months old). I agree that every child is different, and I really think it's just a phase he's going through where he tries to be as stubborn and pig-headed as possible. I think they call that the Terrible Two's. Haha.

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. I have twin 4 year olds and another little guy about to turn 2. I started potty training as soon as I saw the signs they were ready. By 2 the oldest was dry all night, rarely an accident during the day. My little almost 2 year old gets mad at me when I don't get him to the potty on time.

    As for my younger 4 year old.... He knows when he has to go, but refuses to do so if he has a pair of "big boy" underpants and pants on. BUT when he is running around the house naked from belly button down, he doesn't have a single accident.

    I am clueless as to how to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did child care for 26 and1/2 years and this is very common...They potty for awhile and then start back potting in their pants...BUT the good news I have never seen a healthy child at college in diapers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 3 YO son (our second) who started going to the potty at 2 and a half for a few months (almost no accidents) and then stopped. We had to resume bribing him with a jellybean for every time he went. I realize you probably won't be able to use candy but maybe something else =D. Our firstborn never needed bribing but it took him much longer to learn to go on time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have come to rwalize that I was VERY LUCKY. my son did not like diapers. I told him one night ( he was almost 2) that if he didnt wet the bed I would let him wear big boy undies. He never wet himself again. Little sister wanted so bad to be like her brother that at 18 months she started dragging me to the potty. After about two weeks of nothing, she actually peed in the potty. Her reward... a pretty pair of princess panities. And yup, no more diapers or accidents. Now enter grandaughter of said daughter... almost 3 and absolutely no desire to give up diapers. Go figure. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw you on Fox & Friends. Nice job. Keep up the good work.

    In the meantime, since you have young children, you might find this interesting. I invented a cup to kill 99.9% of germs and viruses from coughing and sneezing. It's called a Coughy Cup. You can check it out a CoughyCup dot com or follow on Twitter @CoughyCup

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! It's so refreshing to know that other people are dealing with this too. We've been working on this potty training thing for a solid four months plus some. He knows how. He knows when. He knows how to hold it even. He's demonstrated this time and again when there's a big enough incentive for him. But, me and the Hubs -we're through with the bribery. It's time. He's 3 and a half and he knows how. I cleaned up FOUR messes yesterday -all because what he was playing with was just more important than taking himself to the toilet. By afternoon he was no longer allowed to play with his truck, trains, or cars. -So he just ran around the house, happy as could be, pretending to be a train. Its so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My youngest son was about to turn three and was still wearing diapers. It was driving me crazy. He knew exactly what he was doing. He was just stubborn.

    The week before his third birthday i told him there was so much diaper pollution going on that police stopped by your house on your third birthday to make sure you weren't wasting extra diapers.

    That was almost a month ago and we haven't had an accident since. ::Knock on wood::

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Learn Potty Training IN 3 Days Just Click On The Link

    To Start Start Potty Training Today Click On The Link

    For Potty Training For Toddlers Click On The Link

    TO Know How To Potty Train Your Child Click On The Link

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the three-day potty training method back in August, and Jameson took to it wonderfully! He's been doing fantastic ever since. Monday night ... opottytraining.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete