Collage

Collage

Friday, November 22, 2013

Fitness Friday: You don't have to be rude.

One thing I've learned lately is this:
 
Anyone who is not on the healthy lifestyle train isn't going to understand what you're doing or why you're doing it.
 
I get a lot of grief when I say no to sweets (which I don't do 100% of the time, by the way) and I get a LOT of quizzical looks when people learn that my alarm goes off at 4:30 AM (earlier, some days) 5 days a week so that I can go to the gym before I start my day.
 
A few weeks ago, my co-worker had made cookies and was offering them to everyone in the office. I graciously declined, but he was insistent.  He had made them, and was convinced that I need to have one (or three).  He wouldn't take no for an answer.
 
While this is one of my biggest pet peeves (PEOPLE:  if someone says no to something, let it go!), I didn't want to be rude, so I took the cookie.  I placed it on my desk, thanked him, and we both went about our days.

 
Five minutes later, the cookie went in my trash can.  When he asked me later that day how it was, I told him it was good, thanked him, and declined when he offered me another cookie.
 
Was it "right" to lie?  Perhaps not.  But I feel like it would have been more rude for me to explain that I was working to achieve goals in the gym and that his sugar and butter-heavy cookies were the exact opposite of what my body needed.

Social situations can be really tricky when you're "dieting" or working to achieve goals with your body.  But the point it, people should respect what you're doing, and you don't always have to be rude or standoffish.  A little white lie such as the one I told in the cookie-situation never hurt anyone, in my opinion.

How do you deal with it when people won't take no for an answer?

Does this kind of thing happen to you often - whether fitness related or otherwise?

 

13 comments:

  1. That is super frustrating, especially if you are already in shape. The whole 'you can use a cookie' line drives me nuts. Homemade things are the hardest things for me to say no too, just because of their pride and effort.

    Good for your for sticking to your guns

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is difficult to say no, but there is a fine line between being a co-worker people want around and being standoffish. I take the cookie and let them think I ate it or take a 1/4 size piece of cake when everyone is in a party together instead of a whole piece. I know my limits, but I also know socially how to work the room so I do not make others uncomfortable with my choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take the cookie and EAT it. It's only a cookie. Now if he were to do this everyday of the week that would be different. But one cookie full of calories can be burned off by running up and down the stairs. A co-workers hurt feelings might last a life time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I agree with you. I prefer to have my cheat calories in the form of wine. :) I absolutely let myself have little cheats, and if a cookie is the way you want your cheat, I say go for it!

      Delete
  4. Instead of a simple "No thank you" I add, "I don't typically eat things like that". If they look quizzical or press me I also add "They don't agree with me." Which is technically true - they don't agree with my lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great idea! No one wants to hear about your irritable bowel syndrome or something, so I doubt anyone is going to continue to push the issue! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm on week THREE. And we share the same pet peeve. I have someone at work that refuses to take no for an answer. He insists that he knows better than I what to put in my body or what to do with the short breaks I get during the day. I've even had to raise my voice; he got so insistent. About snacks: I work in a building that has a lot of catered events but I'm at the point that it's really easy to say NO internally. Most people understand since what I'm doing is working: lost 125lbs so far (patting myself on back).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, This specific net webpage is seriously thrilling and enjoyment to learn. I’m an enormous fan from the subjects mentioned. functional movement screen

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first several months of my site there were no comments; just give it time; now they come in like crazy every day! Thanks. dianabol tablets

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. garcinia cambogia new zealand

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to stop by. But, I think it might have to wait until this summer. I did not know that Serlkay had ever expanded its size. I must say that a succesful family owned business in this day and age is a very refreshing sight! As well as this is a very refreshing site! best garcinia cambogia uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Likes appreciably elevate the recognition of your respective respective webpage and though utilizing the correct total rely; numerous men and women are going to be drawn to your account. The organizations that offer these suppliers, will give you with non-automated or robotic likes and supply you with true Instagram likes. http://www.buyrealiglikes.com/buy-instagram-likes-50 The great difficulty about this is the fact that they are really truly immediately sent in your account and that means you don't have to attend that a fantastic offer. And when you're a small business enterprise, increasing your Instagram likes are going to be valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the sensible critique. cold sore stagesMe and my neighbor had been just preparing to complete a bit research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I feel I learned extra clear from this post. I’m quite glad to find out such great information becoming shared freely out there.

    ReplyDelete