Collage

Collage

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Gluten Free Pizza

I was bound and determined to feed my family pizza last weekend.  We have pizza (usually in the Digiorno form) almost every weekend, but with the recent celiac disease diagnosis, pizza suddenly became a lot more difficult.
 
I looked at several recipes and ended up going with the following, from The Minimalist Baker:

3 c. gluten free flour blend
(I used 1 cup each of brown rice flour, white
rice flour, and garbanzo flour)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp sugar, divided
1 tbsp. yeast
1 1/4 c. warm water
1 tbsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 350.  In small bowl, combine yeast and 3/4 c. warm water, at about 110 degrees. After about 5 minutes, sprinkle in 1 tbsp. sugar.



In separate bowl, combine GF flour blend, salt, baking powder, and remaining 2 tbsp. sugar. Whisk until combined.



Make a well in the dry mixture and add the yeast mixture.  Add olive oil and additional 1/2 c. warm water before stirring.  Then stir all together until well combined, using wooden spoon. (I failed to get any pictures of this step in the process - sorry!)

Lightly coat a baking sheet or pizza stone with non-stick spray and plop dough down. 
I'm not sure if the dough was supposed to be as sticky and blob-like as it was, but it was nothing even close to resembling the normal, elasticized pizza dough.




Using your hands and a little rice flour if it's too sticky, work the dough out towards the edge of the pizza pan.  Again, I forgot to take pictures of this step.  But like I mentioned above, the dough was super sticky, so I just kept coating my fingers with rice flour, and pushing the dough towards the edge of the pan.

This made a ton of dough.  I believe the recipe states it makes 1 and 1/2 pizzas.  (What?? Who makes a 1/2 of a pizza?)

Next time, I'm definitely going to divide it in half and make two separate pizzas with thinner crust.

But regardless.  I popped the crust in the oven and let it bake for about a half an hour.  Then I removed it, topped it with the usual, and somewhat boring, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese, then popped it back into the oven for an additional 15 minutes or so to get the cheese all melty and brown.

This was the result.
 

 
Yep.  It most definitely tasted as delicious as it looks in this picture.  The texture of the crust was a bit different.  I compare it to the Jiffy box cornbread mix: more grainy.  But the flavor was awesome.
 
The crust was very thick.  I never have any trouble making it through two (or more....red face) pieces of pizza.  But I got through half of my second piece and I. Was. Full.  My husband said the same thing.
 
Again - another reason to divide this recipe into two pizzas next time.

 
All four of us ate this right up, and I can't wait to make it again - yummmmm!

 
2 year old stamp of approval = S.C.O.R.E.

 

3 comments:

  1. This was a bases loaded out of the park home run! The picture of the pizza looks so yummy but nothing compares to the 2 year old's SMILE! That says it all. Hope he is beginning to feel better with the gluten free plan and everyone is happily settling to the new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stephanie. If you have a minute would you mind contacting me? My email is: admin@catchmeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make my own sauce. Tomato sauce or paste, a clove of garlic or 2 usually crushed, 1-2 tsp of Italian season or oregano and basil crushed in my hands, some salt, and sugar to taste and a squirt of ketchup. Mix it up, simmer it for a few and add. Add water for desired consistency if using paste.

    ReplyDelete