Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Recipe: Gluten Free White Cake

Someone has his 3rd birthday approaching! Since the whole idea of cake is now not so simple, I knew I wanted to experiment with a cake recipe in hopes that I wouldn't have to buy a $76 cake at a bakery somewhere!

Instead of searching specifically for a gluten free cake recipe, I decided to modify my normal "simple white cake" recipe and see how it turned out. 

The original recipe includes regular flour, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and milk.  I love the simplicity of it, and the fact that there's no oil or shortening in it.  All I did in terms of modifying it was subbing gluten free flours and adding xanthan gum.

First, you add all of your dry ingredients in one bowl and whisk them together. 

In a separate bowl, cream your butter and sugar. 


Then, add the eggs, vanilla, and milk. Mix until smooth. 


Pour wet ingredients onto the dry ones and mix until well-blended. 




Pour into an 8x8 baking pan. Isn't mine so classy and lovely? (Hey, it's well used.)


Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 



To frost this bad boy, I laid it upside down on a plate, and just used some simple Betty Crocker whipped vanilla frosting. I might make my own frosting for the actual birthday event, but to get an idea of how this cake was going to turn out, pre-made and pre-canned frosting worked just fine. 


This cake stood about 1 inch tall. Haha! for Jameson's birthday, I'll make two and layer them. 



The verdict?? 

Tasty. 

I wouldn't call it the best cake I've ever had, but it WAS tasty. I let the boys try it after dinner that night and their plates were clean in about 2 minutes flat, so I'd call it a success with them!




Interested in making this cake? You can find the original recipe here.

For my GF flour blend, I used 40% brown rice flour, 40% white rice flour, and 20% tapioca flour. The tapioca flour is Bob's Red Mill, and I grind my own rice flour - Great Value brand rice if you must know.  Haha.

Let me know your thoughts if you do make this cake!

Do you eat gluten free?

Do you have a go-to GF cake recipe?

Any special celebrations in the coming weeks in your family or circle of loved ones?

Have a GREAT Memorial Day weekend, and a huge THANK YOU to all those who have served or are currently doing so!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this, I'm glad you posted the steps. I'm interested to know how you grind/mill your grains? I have a Thermomix so have no problems with it. Done in seconds. Have a great day & thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually use a coffee grinder! It doesn't grind them nearly as fine as I'd like, but I can't afford anything fancy right now! Haha. I hope to get a mill grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer one of these days!

      Delete
  2. I'm craving for that right now. I love cakes, and that simple to follow recipe will be the perfect fix for my aching sweet tooth. Add that to the fact that it is gluten free. I can whip that up in a jiffy and serve it to my friends who are allergic to the said protein in an impromptu tea party. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! All the best to you!

    Alexis Webb @ 7 West Bistro

    ReplyDelete