Monday, June 9, 2014

Colorado Springs - Part 2

You can read about the first part of our Colorado Springs trip here.

After we got home from the zoo, we all crashed out for a nap!  Well, Hendrix refused, as usual.  He and Tim, Sarah's husband, played Legos.  The rest of us snored for a bit!

After our rest, Sarah and I showered and got all gussied up for our girls night out that we had been planning for weeks!  Neither of us get out much, plus we see each other, like, two times a year.

Our first stop was Painting With a Twist!  I'm sure you've seen these places popping up everywhere lately.  You purchase your seat and materials, and you paint a picture as a group, led by an instructor.  I've been wanting to do this for a long time, so we did! Many of these places also sell wine and beer, so of course, we enjoyed a glass of wine while we became artists!


Our painting was called Delicate Tree, or something like that.  Ha. The instructor was using the pink and maroon hues, that you see in Sarah's painting.  But I am (extremely slowly) re-decorating my bedroom in an orange and gray theme, so I decided to use shades of orange for the leaves of my tree.  This painting was so much fun to do, and I can't wait to go back and do another one of these!


After we took off our smocks, we headed over to dinner at Tucano's - a Brazilian steakhouse.  If you've never eaten at a Brazilian steakhouse, get in your car and go find one right this very second.

I ate at one when I travelled to Fort Lauderdale back in 2009 (Fogo de Chao) and it was soooo amazing.  Sarah let me choose where we ate, and after a google search revealed that there was a Brazilian Steakhouse in the Springs, the decision was made!

It most certainly did not disappoint.  I chowed right into my plate before remembering to snap some pictures for the blog, so sorry for the half-eaten food! 

I ate until it hurt, then I took a few more bites. :)



I can now say I've tried a caipirinha that I've heard so much about.  It was meh.  A nice compliment to the delicious food, but I can't say I'd order it again.


On Sunday, we headed out to Garden of the Gods.  I don't have pictures from our adventure because I'm keeping them as a gift for my family later this summer, but it was so much fun.  Hendrix is sure right in his element climbing those rocks.


Once we got back to the house after our Garden of the Gods adventure, we rested, then played outside.

I just adore this picture of my boys.

Hendrix: I like to live on the wild side.  You think my driving's scary?  Right on.
Jameson:  Gahhhhhhhhhhh!  I don't know if I love it or hate it?



So it turns out that Sarah's husband, Tim, is a master at chocolate martini's.  Holy moly these were so delicious!  We grilled and enjoyed each other's company on our last evening together.


We got up early Monday morning, and were on the road by 6.  We made it home by 2:15, I believe.  The kids were antsy to get out of the car and be home by around noon, but hey - I think we all were.

It was a great trip, relaxing, and really enjoyable.  Sarah and her family are planning to visit us over Labor Day, so we'll have to come up with some fun activities, which is never hard in the Black Hills!

Next up for us is a trip north over July 4th weekend to visit Matt's mom and his grandparents' farm.  I'm really looking forward to unplugging and enjoying my family with some serious "Americana" going on.

Hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend.

Do you have any fun summer plans?

6 comments:

  1. We are planning on taking at 10 day camping trip to Clear Lake, Manitoba Canada! Soaking up the warm weather at our local beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic! Do you camp in a tent or camper?

      Delete
  2. We are camper users:) I grew up camping and my husband is pretty new to the camping things. He was all for a camper instead of tenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had an old pop-up, but it stayed in Ohio when we moved. We tent-camped once last year and I'm trying to convince my husband that we NEED to buy another camper. Haha!

      Delete
  3. Well good luck with that! I used oh the memories we will be creating and the girls will love being outdoors all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got one last night! Woo hoo!! :)

      Delete