Collage

Collage

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Two Years...

Today marks the two year anniversary of Jameson's Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis.  There are times where it still feels new and scary.  But more often than not now, we sit in disbelief that it's only been two years ago, because it feels like forever.  

Once you have children, you forget what it was like before you had them.  Being a Type 1 Family works in much the same way.  I forget what it was like to just give Jameson something to eat and be done with it - not that I was able to do that for long anyway, with diagnosis coming at 16 months old.

It's hard for me to remember what it was like to go somewhere without making sure we had something sugary with us, as well as the glucagon, the meter, test strips, alcohol swabs, etc. I suppose that's similar to the diaper bag situation. :)

Anyway, I'm so proud of this boy.  He just takes it all in stride, and recently, he has really shown interest in wanting to take control of his disease.  

He checks his own blood sugar now.  How awesome is that?  Check it out. (The blood sugar in this particular video is VERY high.  This happens.  It's not worth freaking out about, and never worth blaming Jameson for.  As always, you just treat the number and move on.)

A couple of weeks ago, I had given him his breakfast, and he called to me from the table, "Mom, did you bolus me for my cereal?" I stood in the kitchen and just chuckled.  Never hurts to have another set of eyes on diabetes!

Yesterday, I watched this video on YouTube. ((Please watch it if you have 12 minutes to spare.)) Might have been a mistake to watch, seeing as how the first few days of November make me an emotional time bomb as it is.  :) Anyway, I was obviously in tears very shortly into it.  It got me thinking about Jameson's diagnosis.


Trick-or-Treating 2012.  On the way home, I thought he was just tired.  I had no idea what was really going on inside his little body.


Thinking about my baby - not even a year and a half old, un-responsive in his carseat as I drove him to the ER, I got angry. The tears were streaming down my face, not going to lie.  I fail to understand how this disease continues to go un-diagnosed and children continue to die from it in America, in 2014.

His blood sugar was only 382 (that's actually low for typical diagnosis BG's), but he was in severe DKA. Approximately 28 hours before I drove him to the ER, I had taken him to the pediatrician.  I presented this doctor with the classic symptoms: soaked diapers, extreme thirst, lethargy, vomiting.  She sent us home.  She sent us home!!!!! We got our diagnosis the next night.




I'm not one to get dramatic, so I hate to even say this.  But I'm not stretching the story or exaggerating in any way - we are lucky we didn't lose Jameson 2 years ago. We're also extremely lucky he didn't suffer any brain damage from the severe state of DKA and dehydration he was in. I remember listening to the doctor tell us that brain damage is not uncommon after such a blow to that little body and developing brain.


In the emergency room in Bowling Green, OH.  Not long after this was taken, we were life-flighted to Toledo, OH.

BUT, as the story goes, and as you all know, we have our sweet, silly goofball with us today and I could not be more thankful. I know God gave him his goofy and sarcastic personality for a reason, and that he's going to take every challenge and set-back in stride and continue to be the little superhero that he is.





Burnout is very real with this disease, since it permeates every second of every day of your life.  But giving up is never an option. I'll never give up, and I'll never lose hope for a cure.

You're so awesome, little man.  Never stop being my hero.


3 comments: