Collage

Collage

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Garden 2015: Prepwork!

If you read my post where I shared photos of the exterior of our new house in Michigan, you saw how excited I was about that little 500 square feet of garden space!
 
Ok, 500 square feet is significant, but I'm super excited and am going to do my best not to get overwhelmed or over-do it.
 
As with any undertaking, there is always prep-work involved.
 
We had some pretty nice weather this past weekend, so I rented a Roto-Tiller and got to work breaking up the compact soil that had had feet of snow sitting on top of it for so many months (before I got here, thank goodness - but I have a feeling I'll get my share this next winter....).
 

 
Pre-tilling.
 
You'll need to move, sir.
 
Post-tilling.

 
After I smoothed it out a bit, and broke the rake into two pieces. Didn't know my own strength, it appears. Oops.
 
Who doesn't have time for a couple sunny selfies when they're working in their garden?

 
The last frost date in my zip code is May 19th. I hope to plant very close to that, if not that day. But I want to make sure the soil is warm. To assist with the warmer soil temperatures, I covered the soil with this black plastic. This creates the black t-shirt effect - heat gets in and can't get back out. (I purchased more plastic and covered the middle strip a couple days later.)
 


 
On Sunday, I went back out and just planned and schemed. I have drawn up a plan, and know what's going where. We'll see how close to the drawing everything is when it's all seeded and sprouted, though. :)
 
 
I'm VERY excited about the whole process. The boys and I started sunflower and pumpkin seeds Sunday afternoon. I can't wait until we can direct-sow our seeds, and buy our tomato and pepper plants from the greenhouse and get those into the ground.
 
I feel like it's going to be therapeutic for me to work in the garden. It's so quiet and peaceful out there, with birds chirping and the breeze blowing.
 
I'm looking forward to sharing it with you!
 
Do you garden?
 
What's your favorite vegetable to plant?
 
Any advice for a semi-beginner?
 

2 comments:

  1. I live in the Northwest & we have a garden every year. You have such a nice big plot - I bet you will have a wonderful garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the Northwest & we have a garden every year. You have such a nice big plot - I bet you will have a wonderful garden :)

    ReplyDelete