Collage

Collage

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Imagine With Me, For A Moment...

If you aren't aware of the high level of racial tension in this country, you've been living under a very large rock. Racial tension so thick you could probably grab a butter knife and slice right through it.
 
I tend to shy away from politics and current controversy on this blog here, but when I read about a news story and I'm sitting here with tears literally rolling down my face, I can't just ignore it. I also don't like to use the word "unfair," as it sounds kind of childish and immature to me. But I can't think of many better words that describe this situation.
 
Maybe you saw the article about the group of teens who brutally attacked a 61-year old man and beat him within inches of his life.
 
Oh, what's that? You weren't aware of this story?
 
I wasn't either, until today. (Granted, I've been on social media a lot less lately, and this is exactly why.) It happened on April 22nd. That was 20 days ago, if you don't feel like counting. Almost three weeks ago, yet I hadn't heard a word about it until today, when it randomly popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. I decided to check Yahoo and MSN. Nothing, without a somewhat extensive search. The articles I did come across were anywhere from 15 minutes to 11 hours old. Brand new articles, mostly speaking of the charges these kids are facing now, rather than articles that reported what happened WHEN it happened three weeks ago.
 
Hmm, interesting, isn't it?
 
All we've heard about for the last five weeks are the riots in Baltimore, how these citizens are so angry and want justice. (Which they appear to have gotten, since the police involved in the case were charged with murder, manslaughter, illegal arrest. But I digress. What do I know?)
 
Yet, a group of teens who almost kills a man for no reason at all goes without reporting?
 
You'll notice that the article I linked above doesn't mention race of the teens. And it doesn't need to. Whether these kids are black, white, hispanic, or yellow with purple polka-dots, they're still a bunch of worthless punk-a** jerks. #notsorry
 
 
 
But imagine with me, just for a moment.
 
Let's say a couple of Caucasian teens were fighting outside the home and on top of the truck of a 61 year old African-American. The owner of the home simply walks outside to try and break up the fight, and a mob of 40+ Caucasian teenagers attacks him and beats him within inches of his life. He is put into a medically induced coma because of the amount of damage that is done to his body.
 
What are you seeing?
I'm seeing complete, utter, un-controllable CHAOS. More of Baltimore. More of Ferguson. More of whatever else is to come - because you know more is coming.
 
But the teens that did this to this man were African-American. The article doesn't state that, but follow-up articles that explain the charges against some of these teens do state that and they show pictures of these teens.
 
What happens? Three weeks pass and no one even knows about this story.
Does this make your blood boil? My chest is literally pounding with anger as I write this post.
 
The media skews, over-reports, under-reports, hides things, and is basically as corrupt as you can imagine. Don't rely on the media. However, facts are facts. This happened, and we SHOULD be angry that it was all but covered up. We should be angry that this man's life was all but taken, and that he'll never be the same - physically, mentally, or emotionally. We should be livid. But I do not recommend burning down our neighborhoods, or going out for "retaliation" on anyone. I do not recommend breaking into any stores to loot and steal from people who had nothing to do with any of this. I certainly do not condone throwing rocks or anything at other teens, just because of what happened with a group of them.
 
But anger? You sure as hell better believe I'm feeling ANGER.
 
There are unfortunate exceptions, as there always are. But generally speaking, my fellow Americans - the racists in this country, of which I USED to be proud to be a part, are NOT the Caucasians.
 
Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Anytime any Caucasian voices an opinion about what is going on they are labeled a racist.

    And the media doesn't help at all. They can't just say an officer shot a suspect. They insist on saying a WHITE officer shot a BLACK suspect. The only time they say an officer shot a suspect is if it's a white officer shooting a white suspect or a black officer shooting a white suspect. Oh wait... That's not true bc they don't bother reporting those shootings.

    I saw on the news this uproar when a Mexican man declared a white pride day in his restaurant. People were so angry... We are not allowed to be proud of who we are bc our skin is white.

    You are brave for speaking out. Not a lot of people do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny, and you're exactly right.

      I did see the news about the White Pride Day. Loved it. :)

      (And I didn't love it because I'm racist, only because I want to be able to be proud of who I am.)

      Appreciate your support!

      Delete