Collage

Collage

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Circle B Campground - Angola, Indiana

As I have mentioned before, my bucket list for this summer is long, and time remaining in the summer season is short. It makes me sad, though I can't say I'm not ready for fall either. I guess we just have to make the most of the time we have left.
 
We finally got out and went camping this past weekend, and what fun we had! Our good friends from Ohio met us, so the boys got to play with their friends as well.

I got off of work a little early, we hooked up, and headed out around 3:45. We arrived to the campground around 6. It was sooooo busy! We had to sit and wait in the vehicle just to check in, but the check-in and pulling into our site went smoothly.

The boys got right to playing as Matt and I set up the camper.


 
Saturday morning, all the boys woke up and we discovered that all four of them had on Spiderman PJ's. Definitely couldn't pass up that photo opportunity. :)

 
Friday night, Hendrix was off playing, and then he came up to Matt and I and asked if he could go to the playground with his new friend, Caitlyn. Hendrix and Caitlyn were thick as thieves on Friday night, but she and Jameson became best buddies Saturday. Especially when we discovered that she has celiac disease like him.
 
Saturday, before lunch, we were going on a walk around the campground, and Jameson and Caitlyn were walking behind Matt and I. They were chatting it up, and Caitlyn was asking Jameson about his diabetes and his pump (you can see his site there on his left arm).
 
Without any drama or skipping a single beat, Jameson said to her, "That's my pump site. If I take it off, I'll die."
 
Ok, folks. I'm glad he appreciates the importance of getting insulin, and the reality is that without insulin he would eventually die, yes. BUT I don't really want him thinking he's that fragile, nor do I want him telling his friends this. People already don't understand Type 1 Diabetes, and I don't want to further spread any misinformation or a false sense of drama. (If there's one thing that grates my nerves, it's type 1 families moms acting like every high or low is the end of the world.) I didn't say anything, but I think we definitely need to sit down and have a talk.
 
He's started understanding that when he's low, he needs to eat and that when he's high, he needs insulin, so it's starting to make more sense to him now that he's older. I think it's a good time to be honest with him about both the severity of the disease - **IF not well controlled** - but also the fact that he's not a fragile little flower and that he can do anything he puts his mind to.
 
Aaaand that he's not going to immediately perish the moment we take his site off. Hahaha. Silly little boy.

 
Anyway, sorry for that little tangent.
 
Saturday afternoon, we headed down to the swimming beach and swam our hearts out! I didn't take my phone or camera with me to the beach for fear of them getting lost/stolen/ruined, so I have no pictures of our fun, but it was great. Hendrix fished with his buddy Wes, then joined us for swimming later. We swam for a couple hours, then the kids wanted to go to the playground, so we just let them kind of lead the way, and the moms followed and got to chat.
 
Good grief I miss being able to chat with my girlfriends.
 
Saturday evening, everyone pitched in for dinner. We had grilled chicken, cheesy potatoes, pasta salad, and fresh fruit with a very good fruit dip for dessert! We all ate plenty and it was delicious.

 
 
 

 


 
 




 
 
 
I was pretty impressed with the campground. You never really know what you're getting into when you base things solely off of a campground's website. I mean, what website is going to say, "It's a nice campground, but gets really crowded and the bathrooms tend to get pretty nasty when it's hot out." Ha!
 
As I mentioned, it was definitely full and crowded, but I'd say about 80% of the sites are seasonal (meaning people park their big rigs in May and don't pull them out until September/October), which I think plays a big part in keeping the grounds nice.
 
The bathrooms were pleasantly surprising. Nothing special about the toilets or stalls, but the showers were an unexpected piece of awesome. They were not cinder block or cement, as I expected, but rather fiberglass, stalled out showers. They appeared completely clean. Soap scum and the thought of sharing showers with strangers tends to really gross me out, but I felt comfortable taking a shower Saturday afternoon. Hot water was not an issue either.
 
There was not a pool, but rather a small swimming beach. The beach looked small and the water looked a little dirty when we checked it out in the morning, but when we went down to swim that afternoon, I didn't feel overcrowded, and the water seemed to have cleared up a bit. Maybe it was because all of the splashing kids pushed the dirtiness away. Ha.
 
The one thing I was most pleased with was the noise level. With the large number of people camping, and the close proximity of the sites, I was worried that people would be loud late into the night, but I had no trouble falling asleep, nor did I get woken up during the night due to loud or unruly campers.
 
Overall, it was a really nice place to camp, a good mid-point for the buckeyes and Michiganders to meet, and I'd definitely be up for camping there again!
 
We had a great weekend, and are already starting to think about meeting up for a fall trip.
 
Do you like to camp? Where's your favorite spot?
 
How do you camp: tent? pop-up? big rig?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment